Sometimes we decide that specific features of our body could do with a little professional adjustment to enhance our natural beauty. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be the best possible you, you can be.
This is true, many times, with the shape or size of our nose. A good plastic surgeon can sculpt your nose in a way that won’t make the changes too noticeable but will enhance the natural beauty that is you.
However, as with anything that is this important, you will want to make sure you are a good candidate for the nose job, also known as Rhinoplasty, and you will want to find out as much as you can about the procedure so you can make an informed decision when the time comes.
This is why we have put together some critical information to consider before you have any work done. These include:
Things to Consider Before having Rhinoplasty
Having work done on your nose can be a major improvement to your overall appearance while not being as noticeable as other major cosmetic surgeries.
This is not to suggest that a nose job is not major surgery. Some of the pros and cons of having Rhinoplasty include:
- There will be improvement made to the size, shape, and angle of your nose
- Structural issues which have, in the past, restricted your breathing and have caused you congestion can be corrected.
- Rhinoplasty can have a significantly positive impact on your self-image as well as your self-confidence.
- Depending on the surgery, you might develop a scar at the base of your nose.
- If skin grafting is required, in some cases you may develop skin problems or a breakdown of skin tissue due to this procedure.
- It will take you some time to get used to your new and improved appearance.
How is a nose surgery procedure done?
After your surgeon has finished numbing the area to work on, they will then make incisions so they can gain access to the bones and cartilage that structurally support the nose.
When they have accessed the structural bone and cartilage of the nose, the surgeon can then add or remove bone and cartilage; or re-shape the bone and cartilage to re-size or re-shape the nose.
What are my Options?
There are different methods for augmenting the nose or even smoothing any surface deformities.
- For best the results, grafts from the inside wall of the nose, which divides the two air passages, offers the best chance for a natural result.
- Even though silicone implants are available for nose surgery, they are still foreign material and can cause infection if they do not react well with your nasal tissue. That is why natural cartilage is always your best choice if it is available.
- To smooth the nose, camouflage deformities or indentations, or even to add volume to desired areas, fillers or fat grafts may also be injected into the desired areas.
What will Nose Surgery Scars and Incisions Be Like?
There are two techniques used for making the incisions in the nose.
Using this procedure, the incisions are made on the outside of the nose with a small incision underneath the nose, between the two nostrils. This leaves the patient with a small, barely noticeable scar.
Surgeons who prefer this method say that it completely opens the nose, allowing them to see the nasal structure better.
During an endonasal rhinoplasty, the incisions are made inside the nasal passages. Since these incisions are made inside the nose, they are not visible after the surgery.
Surgeons who prefer this method say that it also allows them to see the nasal structure better and doesn’t leave a visible scar.
Your Initial Consultation
When attending your first appointment with your plastic surgeon, you should come prepared to discuss with them your:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Any allergies to the medication you may have
- A list of medications you are currently taking
Your Treatment Plan
Also during your first appointment with your plastic surgeon, you should expect them to discuss:
- Their planned approach to your surgery, including the type of procedure or combination of methods.
- The anticipated outcome of the procedure
- The required financial investment.
- The procedure’s associated risks and complications.
- The aesthetic options
- The preparation you will need to make.
- What you can expect from the procedure.
- Look at before and after photos of a similar procedure.
A nose job can enhance your face, boost your self-confidence and improve your overall outlook on life. However, it is still a surgery and similar to any other operation you should have all the information you can get so you can make an informative decision on what route you want to take with the procedure.
Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. If you enjoyed this article, please join my mailing list to make sure you do not miss a single informative and entertaining article as soon as it is published. I encourage you to start or join a discussion by adding a comment at the end of the article.
Also, I can help you with any of your professional content needs, including original blog articles, website content and all other forms of content management and marketing.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will put my 15+ years of experience to work for you.
Let’s Spread the Words Together!